Friday, April 29, 2011

Featured Artist Friday: From Start to Finish by Hannah

Well, happy Friday! I hope you having a great week. Ideas for Scrapbooks is sharing another great featured artist post from a scrapbooker named Hannah! She is from Scotland and has a totally cool online store where she sells the latest and greatest scrapbook products. You can visit the link here.  You can also see all of Hannah's gorgeous scrapbook projects such as altered items and neat scrapbook pages at her blog here: http://handmade-hannah.blogspot.com/ .  She has a fun and pretty style and I enjoyed looking at on her blog. Make sure you take time time to visit her blog, I know you will love it! Also I will be posting her "start to finish" post shortly after we get to know her :)


My name is Hannah and I live in Edinburgh, Scotland with my husband and two daughters, aged 1 and 3. I am a secondary school teacher and enjoy all types of crafts, but papercrafting, and in particular, scrapbooking has become my favourite. I made a resolution this year to do something creative each day and so far it is working! I tend to craft in the evenings when my children are in bed. I have come a long way from my first scrapbook layouts which featured photos and stickers just floating on the page. I now love trying to layer elements on my pages using dimension and texture. I have recently opened a new scrapbook supplies store on line, called Handmade Hannah, which is great fun and hard work, but at least I get to use all of the lovely products! I post layouts daily on my blog, Handmade Hannah, and love nothing more than reading other people's blogs and being inspired by their creativity.


A Layout From Start To Finish by Hannah

Today I want to share the creative process behind one of my layouts. I love using 3 x 2 inch black and white photographs and like to group them on 12 x 12 scrapbook pages.  I thought that I would do a short tutorial showing the steps I took to create this 'block' type layout which I seem to favour at the moment. The first step was to select some China AC cardstock and arrange the photographs.

 

I then selected some patterned paper and measured it up against the photos:

Using the reverse side of the same patterned paper I cut a piece for the top of the layout and then inked the edges of both.


I wanted to create a messy stitched border for this layout so used my sewing machine to create a double frame:


The next stage was the lay the photos out and add in a ruffle trim to unite the two pieces of patterned paper:


I then selected a journalling card which had a strong colour so that it wouldn't get lost on the very busy patterned paper at the base of the layout. I also added in a yellow scalloped border to sit underneath the ruffle trim:


You can see I placed the card below the line of the paper to create interest and to make it stand out and then added some of the red scalloped edging up the side of the card.


I added a button with twine to the edge of the journaling card and so I needed to balance this out with something similar in the top left hand corner. I used the red and blue scalloped card that I cut before and added 2 buttons and more twine. Here is the final layout complete with title and journaling. Here is the final layout once I had added the title:


 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks you so much, Hannah, for sharing your start to finish layout!!


6 comments:

  1. It's great to see Hannah featured on your blog. I've been following her blog for a while now and find it extremely inspiring.
    What a great project! Can't wait to see what she comes up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your layout is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the tips on how you created such a cute page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great design and those fklowers give it a great three-D feel. Could be hung on a wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely layout Hannah! I really like all the colors in the pattern paper and how the yellow border really pulls the flower border and the pattern paper together with the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally gorgeous, Hannah.
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete