Thursday, May 6, 2010

Creating Cards by Heather!

Today I thought I'd talk about card making. Are you intimidated by cards, not sure where to begin or can't get the design to click? I used to hate making cards. I pretty much threw out any card I tried to make. But I wanted to create beautiful cards for friends and family so I decided to study some cardmakers that I admired to see if I could find the secret to great cardmaking. Now I love to make cards, mostly simple style but I love to have a stockpile to select from for special occasions.

Here are a few things that I discovered: anyone can do it - it just takes a little care and time.

1. It takes me as much time to design and create a card as it does a page. Pages are basically mini layouts. They turn out better if you think about the design elements, papers and embellies - use your best.

2. It's all in the details. Adding techniques like embossing, doodling, stitches, bows, bling really adds to the card. Clustering and layering make for great cards too. Don't forget your punches or stamps either. Pop dots make a card "pop!"

Here's a few examples:

for this card I embossed some cardstock and inked it, stitched around the edge and added a button,rounded the corner



in this card I just punched an edge, added a rubon, handcut butterfly from patterned paper and bling



this one is just embossed CS and rub-ons and a doodle down the edge



some corrugated CS, paper scraps and leftover stencil from some chipboard, some tulle



a bit more detailed with shaped card, chipboard frame, sentiment printed and added, flowers, tags



3. Using different shapes really helps a card stand out. They're really not much more difficult than regular cards. There's lot of free templates available (Pam has tons of beautiful ones right here)

Here's a card I made from the recent flower template. I dampened the edged and curled them up and also curled the paper in the center of the flower. I added a rubon sentiment and a 3-D butterfly





4. Get inspiration from other card makers. There are lots of sketch blogs and I love to check out the many versions of cards created from one sketch.
Here are some of my favorite places to visit

2 sketches 4 you http://2sketches4you.blogspot.com/
caardvarks http://caardvarks.blogspot.com/
CPS http://cardpositioningsystems.blogspot.com/
Homespun with Heart http://danielleflanders.blogspot.com/
Dannis Doodles http://www.dannisdoodles.typepad.com/
Dougnat Diaries http://dougnat.blogspot.com/

5. Scraplift a favorite card.

6. Use a card kit to start out - pieces are precut and all you need to do is put them together. Usually they include items that you wouldn't necessarily buy yourself. I actually have 5 unique card sets available right now on my blog and a giveaway.

7. Browse the web for fun sentiments- I love to do dog cards with "have a GRRReat birthday" or "just be-paws"

8. Don't be put off by other amazing cards. There are cards that I totally admire but they're just not my style so I stick to what suits me. Have fun and try out different styles.

GIVEAWAY

This week I am giving away a card set on my blog and I also have 5 card kits available for sale. You can check it out here at http://scrappininak.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/happy-mail/



Last word of advice, have fun - the joy is in the giving and seeing someones face light up when they see that you've spent time creating something beautiful and heartfelt just for them.


(CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HEATHER)

4 comments:

  1. I love how you used Pam template to make a card! Never thought to do that. TFS and Glad to have you as our Featured artist this friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cards are beautiful! Plus, really great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather....absolutely beautiful cards....now I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of your cards are absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for being a fabulous featured artist!

    ReplyDelete