Monday, March 8, 2010

Adding Texture to your projects with Dry Embossing

One of the tools I have enjoyed using both with scrapbooking and cardmaking is dry embossing templates. They are usually inexpensive and can add great texture to a project that might need a little extra interest. If you combine dry embossing with some distress inking then your embossed image has even extra emphasis. Dry embossing templates are just plastic folders that you use to sandwich a piece of paper and apply pressure. I have a few templates by Cuttlebug and I use a Sizzix Big shot to apply the pressure needed to create the embossed design. Here are the tools I used for the projects I am sharing today.




I have two projects to share using this technique. First I created a layout and cut out some large brackets to surround my picture. I wanted the brackets to have extra emphasis so I used the dry embossing template to apply a swirl design to each bracket.



The brackets are actually larger than my embossing folder. So, to apply my design, I inserted just one half of the bracket in the embossing template folder at a time and ran the bracket through my Sizzix machine twice. To really bring out the embossed design I used a sponge applicator and applied distress ink. I lightly brushed the bracket with “Weathered Wood” ink trying to get most of the ink to hit the high points of the embossed design. I then went back and used a second color, ‘Worn Lipstick”. By combining the two colors I got a more interesting effect. Some areas ended up looking more blue, others more pink and then a purple effect where the two combined nicely.

I do love embossing on its own, without added color. I often emboss the face of a greeting card because I think it adds a touch of elegance to otherwise plain paper. Below is an Anniversary Card which is simply smooth cardstock embossed with the same Cuttlebug swirl template. It is a simple design, but still very pretty.



Hope you will try some dry embossing on some of your future projects!

1 comment:

  1. Really great post Delores! I love embossing, and I don't usually remember that I can use ink to add additional details.

    ReplyDelete