Thursday, February 25, 2010

Sweet as Honey


For this layout, I really wanted the word “honey” to look like actual honey. So I dug through my stash and pulled out every yellow and gold letter I had on hand. But nothing looked right! They were just letters… and they definitely didn’t look like honey. So I did what any crafty gal would do. I made my own!

First, I took some raw chipboard letters and painted them with a bright yellow acrylic paint.



Then I sponged lightly around the edges with a slightly darker shade of yellow paint. While they were still wet, I sprinkled a tiny amount of gold glitter onto each letter.



Next I misted everything with a healthy coating of Pearl Glimmer Mist and allowed to dry.



Once they were dry, I generously coated each letter with Glossy Accents, careful to eliminate any air bubbles as I went. Then I added a bit more glitter to each letter and left to dry completely.



Remember how Winnie The Pooh's honey pot always had honey dripping down the rim? I wanted that same effect on my letters. So once the first coat of Glossy Accents was dry, I placed my letters at an angle by just resting them on a pen. I then glopped some more Glossy Accents on them and allowed it to freely drip down each letter.



After some more drying time, I had letters that looked like I just flipped the ol' honey bear over and wrote with it. Here's a close-up of the end result:



Sweet, huh?!


11 comments:

  1. wow Julie - those letters are really awesome!
    That sure took a whole lot of patience on your part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in awe when I first saw what you'd done with this and I'm still in awe. The letters look great and you have a TON more patience than I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way more than a pretty face! What a great idea!! I can not wait to try this! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. definitely sweet like honey! ;)

    hugs,
    sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my goodness! This is SUCH a CUTE IDEA! HOW VERY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome technique Julie!!! I just LOVE this LO!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is amazing! I love the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! This blog post will be advertised on CraftCrave in the Printables category today (look for timestamp: [26 Feb 01:00pm GMT]).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable! Some of the best ideas come from needing just that special something. Love your layout too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an awesome idea Julie! Really great effect!

    ReplyDelete