Monday, December 7, 2009

Using Your Scraps

In the tough economy lately, many people are trying to use more of their scrapbook stash instead of buying new products. I have a few layouts and inspirational ideas to share that will help you stretch your scrappy dollars. Most of these layouts were made using simple squares. First, figure out what the smallest scrap you want to use is, then trim it into an even square. Then you can cut or punch squares of the same size out of your remaining scraps. Arrange the squares in a grid pattern, and add a few embellishments. This is a super quick way to get layouts done as well! Here are a few examples...




I made a template and sketch out of the layout below because I loved how it came out. Simple, but fun.



Here's the sketch. If you would like to save it to your computer, just right click your mouse and then click on "Save As".



If you are a digital or hybrid scrapper, you can download a layered .psd file of the sketch/template here...
http://www.4shared.com/file/128725959/e93519cd/MMD_LetsDanceTemplate.html

You can also use your Cricut machine to cut circles or other shapes out of your leftover patterned papers. This works really well with double sided papers because you end up with more options to mix and match. Here's an example...



*Note* Photography on "Jordan at Four" by Heather Munsterman Photography.

9 comments:

  1. Heather! These are all such fabulous examples. I love the block design... and you're right - perfect way to use up scraps. My favorite is the bottom one with the circles, but I have to say the googly eye tucked in your "O" in the top LO is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cool idea Heather for using scraps. ANd you used them so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, love the layouts! Great designs for using up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are always so good at using every bit of your paper!! I love your grid designs!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS work!!! :) i recently created a layout using up scraps too!! will need to share that one soon! ;)

    hugs,
    sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, this post it great! I always love finding ways to stretch my scrapbook dollars - well done, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your sweet comments girls! Julie, the googly eye is my favorite too! I'd stick them on everything if I could. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was inspired to try my hand at the squares, but instead of using scraps, I used the squares and rectangles on the cover sheet of the Basic Grey paper packs. No measuring and I got to make the most out of that paper collection! www.scrapbook.com/myplace/index.php?mod=galleries&u=181811&m=view&id=2497531&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Tutorials search engine today (look for timestamp: 20 Dec [LA 04:00pm, NY 07:00pm] - 21 Dec [UK 12:00am, OZ 11:00am] ).

    ReplyDelete